What is VASCEPA?
VASCEPA is a prescription medicine used along with a low-fat and low-cholesterol diet to lower high levels of triglycerides (fats) in adults.
- It is not known if VASCEPA changes your risk of having inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis).
- It is not known if VASCEPA prevents you from having a heart attack or stroke.
- It is not known if VASCEPA is safe and effective in children.
What are the possible side effects of VASCEPA?
- Do not take VASCEPA if you are allergic to icosapent ethyl or any of the ingredients in VASCEPA.
- It is not known if people who are allergic to fish or shellfish are also allergic to VASCEPA.
- The most common side effect of VASCEPA is joint pain. Talk to your doctor for medical advice about side effects. As with all drugs, you may experience a serious side effect when taking VASCEPA.
- Tell your doctor if you take medicines that affect your blood clotting (anticoagulants or blood thinners).
- Take VASCEPA capsules whole. Do not break, crush, dissolve, or chew VASCEPA capsules before swallowing.
- You may report side effects by calling 1-855-VASCEPA or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
For more information on VASCEPA, see the full Prescribing Information or call 1-855-VASCEPA (1-855-827-2372).